Jump To:

Thursday, August 25, 2011

R.I.P Aaliyah Dana Haughton aka Baby Girl

Ten years ago today the music world lost it's princess. Aaliyah was and still is my favorite R&B singer. In my opinion there will never be another. Aaliyah helped redifine music in the 90's. Her debut album "Age Aint Nothing But A Number" peaked at #18 on Billboard 200. It brought about singles like "Back & Fourth", "Age Aint Nothing But A Number" and "At Your Best (You Are Love)".

Over the years, as she grew, so did her music. And for me, she was my first fashion and beauty icon. Yes, I would rock the small tops and baggy pants, or recreate the lips in the "One In A Million" video.

 If I had to pick a favorite video, although it would be hard, I would have to pick two. Lol. "Are You That Somebody" from the Dr. Dolittle movie and "I Miss You" from the "I Care 4 U" album, which was released after her passing. Aaliyah touched so many through her words and her actions. Her untimely passing was such a shock. I can remember like it was yesterday when it came on the news and my mom told me. And here we are ten years later still in shock. Heaven got an angel on August 25th 2001. And even though she is not here, her music and legacy will live on through her fans.
 Tune into BET tonight for 10 year anniversary special "One In A Million"

R.I.P Aaliyah Dana "Babygirl" Haughton:


No comments: